Vogmask protects from some but not all particles in second hand cigarette smoke. Vogmask certified N99 filter filters 99% of airborne particles of MMD (Mass Mean Diameter) 0.3 microns.
No half face piece filtering respirator will protect you from all of the chemicals and gases in second hand smoke. You would need a powered respirator for that.
Here is research on MMD (Mass Mean Diameter of particles in cigarette smoke:
The size distribution parameters obtained were similar for all cigarettes tested, with an average CMD of 0.1 micron, a MMD of 0.38 micron, and a GSD of 2.0. The MMD found using the EAA is similar to that previously reported, but the CMD is distinctly smaller and the GSD larger, indicating the presence of many more ultrafine particles. These results may explain the disparity of CMD values found in existing data. Ultrafine particles are of toxicological importance because their respiratory tract deposition is significantly higher than for particles 0.3 to 0.5 micron and because their large surface area facilitates adsorption and delivery of potentially toxic gases to the lung.
Also Vogmask is designed to protect from non-oil airborne contaminants, but does not address the gases associated with second hand smoke. That said, many of our customers can feel immediate benefit from mask use for this purpose.
Vogmask is highly efficient at protecting from many of the particles in smoke. That is why people who wear a mask around cigarette smoke feel the mask is helpful in this environment.
Precautions for use of Vogmask with kids:
- Size Small Vogmask should be worn only under the supervision of a responsible adult
- Respirators are not recommended for use by under 3 years of age
- Supervising adult should check valve function before each use
- Supervising adult should monitor use of Vogmask in environments of poor air quality for replacement each 3-4 months or when middle layer particle filtering media is saturated as indicated by increased breathing resistance.
Respirators are PPE and are designed and used to reduce the potential exposure of the wearer to airborne hazardous contaminants.
The following is a functional description of the Vogmask and its intended use:
- Particle filtering half mask to reduce exposures to airborne particulate matter
- Helps to protect from non-oil airborne particles such as dust, pollen, shavings, and particles found in air pollution
- The mask can also help reduce exposures to airborne biological particles such as mould.
- Intended for general public use
Certain limitations apply to the use of the Vogmask product:
- Follow fitting instructions carefully; filtering efficiency depends on proper fitting.
- Do not use Vogmask for chemicals gases, vapours, oils, aerosols, oil based particles, or extremely high particle concentrations.
- Do not use in oxygen deficient or explosive atmospheres.
- Does not eliminate the risk of illness, diseases, or infection.
- Leakage will occur if facial hair passes under the face seal.
- This product does not guarantee protection from illness or any harmful substance.
- This product does not filter gases and particles <0.3 micrometre found in air pollution.